Wednesday, November 26, 2008

WRX in PDX

Despite Portland’s mass transit and uber-green trends, we still need a car.  We’ve been driving my brothers Audi for the last 6 months, but now that he’s back stateside, we need to return it.  By the way, nice timing on the 60k inspection and brake replacement, bro.  You owe me.

For a new car, my requirements were simple:

  1. Must be rad.
  2. Must have ample space for trips to Mt Hood/Ikea.
  3. Must be from a company that will exist in 3 years to honor their warranty.

Naturally, I settled on a Mercury Mistress Subaru WRX.  I love this car.   I love the bucket seats.  I love the turbo.  I love the hatchback.  My only complaint is the weak mileage.  Considering we’re buying this as a long term vehicle, that may come back to haunt us.  Actually my favorite comment from the salesman was “Plus, in 6 years, when all the cars on the road are powered by water, you’re gonna have no problem selling a performance car like this.”  Save your water, people, it's gonna be worth $5 a gallon in 6 years!  (oh wait, it already is). 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kyle,

According to your criteria for purchasing a new car, I wish you would have considered buying a tank.

1. Must be rad - um, check.
2. Trips to the mountains/IKEA - not only can you make it to Hood and back safely, but you can also go when the roads are closed. A bonus feature for this ride includes avalanche control weaponry (155mm howitzer, bang!). Trouble with parking at IKEA? No problem, you can park anywhere you want. What are they going to do? Tow you? I think not.
3.Must come from a reliable manufacturer who will honor warranty requests - yes, the US Army will be the last to go in this day of automaker bailouts.

They even have a gas-saving hybrid on the market. Done and done.

Kyle said...

My only problem with that would be the overhead height restrictions of our underground parking. The turret just scrapes the concrete beams in the garage, and I'd get yelled at for tracking dirt in there...